History of the museum
Founded 1892, out of a rebuilding site
This museum was founded in 1892 in memory of Charles Dawson Brown, who was a churchwarden at St Bridget's Church.
During extensive building work on the church between 1869 and 1871, carved stones and other artefacts came to light. As a local historian, Charles recognised their significance in time to save them from being carted away by the builders.
After his death, a public subscription funded a memorial in his name, and the Hearse House next to the old school room was converted to become the Charles Dawson Brown Museum.
The collection saw limited use for decades — open by appointment and on special days such as the St Bridget's Summer Fair. When St Bridget's Centre was redeveloped, reopening the museum became part of the plan, and 2013 brought its first ever regular opening hours. We've welcomed thousands of Saturday-morning visitors since.
